Requirements: Completion of the Gun Dog Program
Advanced Hunt Test Program
There are many times while hunting more than one bird is shot. Or we hope! During these times we need a retriever that can mark and retrieve multiple birds in the field. You will have a retriever that you will be able to handle. They will be able to take hand and whistle signals. The advanced stage of training takes approximately six to eight months (in addition to the basic Gundog program) and prepares your retriever to perform at a level which will make you never want just a Basic level dog again. I have listed a few things covered in my Advanced Program:
- Multiple Retrieves- Your retriever is taught how to mark multiple birds in the field, and retrieve them efficiently. They are taught the differences of “cold” scent (where a bird was) or “hot” scent (where a bird is).
- Blind Retrieves- This is the core of the advanced training program. Your retriever is taught how to take hand and whistle signals so that you can direct him or her to the fall of a bird that he or she didn’t see fall.
- Diversions- When your retriever is coming back from a retrieve during a hunt, sometimes we manage to shoot another bird down and we don’t want them to switch birds. Your retriever is trained to finish the retrieve before going out for the diversion bird.
- Walk-ups- Maybe you and your buddies are jump-shooting a duck pond or walking a fence line for doves, we train your retriever to be steady to shot so that he or she doesn’t scare the birds or break before being sent to retrieve.
- Honoring- Many of our hunting buddies have retrievers that they take with them to the field and it is important to teach our retriever that every bird that falls is not necessarily theirs to retrieve! I teach your retriever to ‘honor’ or watch another dog’s retrieve.
- This Advanced Program is designed to also prepare your retriever for the advanced levels of the hunt test programs- AKC (Senior and Master) or UKC (Finished)
Advanced hunt Test Program
advanced hunt TEST PROGRAM
Requirements: Completion of the Gun Dog Training Program
Once your dog has completed the Gun Dog Program they would have the foundation skills to move on to more advanced work. This program will take your retriever to that next level! Your retriever will be introduced to diversion birds/shots, honoring, multiple retrieves, and blind retrieves.